This coverage provides professional liability to protect an educational institution, its management team and other employees during the course of their institutional duties from claims arising out of actual or alleged wrongful acts or other breach of duty. The policy covers indemnity and defense cost; this specialty coverage usually offers additional endorsements such as non-monetary relief and employment practices liability.
Employment practices liability claims include allegations such as wrongful termination, sexual harassment, and discrimination. Non-monetary relief is a defense only coverage where a plaintiff injunctive relief. Most policies of this type are written on a claims-made basis.
All educational institutions need Educators E&O insurance. Entities that fall into this category include, but are not limited to:
- Public school districts
- Private schools
- Charter schools
- Cyber schools
- Public and private colleges
- Public and private universities
Academic organizations have a high professional liability exposure. Claims arise from charges such as failing to provide an appropriate education, improper hiring and training practices, breach of contract, breach of confidentiality, and lack of adequate supervision. Governmental immunities or tort caps do not always protect schools from these types of claims.
The examples shown below list just of a few of the many reasons why schools should carry E&O insurance.
- Many non-monetary claims arise from the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), when parents of special needs feel that their children are not having their specific educational requirements addressed.
- Claims can occur when teachers either intentionally or unintentionally introduce material that is not age, race, or religious appropriate.
- Failure to maintain proper hiring and employment practices & procedures result in claims from both staff and students.
- An exposure to breach of contract exists between the schools and teachers and the schools and outside vendors.
Claims arise out of actual or alleged:
- Wrongful acts
- Errors & omissions
- Breach of contract
- Negligent employment practices
- Claims seeking non-monetary relief
Educators E&O protects both the insured educational entity and other individuals named in suits who are insureds on the E&O policies.
Schinnerer's Public Entities program has long-term relationships with prominent carriers to provide quotes to retail agents for their school clients' needs.