Since 1998, thousands of
our design professionals insured policyholders have received the
benefits of our VEP continuing education program. Our comprehensive reference
guide to risk management continues to be a valuable tool and resource for design
firms and individuals. For all design professional policyholders, VEP content
is provided at no additional cost.
Access VEP modules and tests.
The VEP is a self-study program designed to
teach design professionals how to identify, respond to and control the various
sources of risk inherent in their performance of design professional services.
The VEP was developed for our design professional policyholders.
The VEP provides two levels of instruction
and testing: Level 1—Introduction
to Risk Management, and Level
2—Selected Topics in Risk
Management. While the
material contained in each level is arranged to present a logical sequence of
study, the individual instructional modules are designed to be reasonably
General learning objectives are listed at the
beginning of each module, and a summary of points is provided at the end of
each module as well as suggested references for further reading.
VEP Reference Document
For those that want a complete description of our VEP program, complete with the contents of each module, we've put together a VEP reference document that you can download and share with others.
Level 1-Introduction to Risk Management
- 1-1: Concepts in Risk Management
- 1-2: Legal Liability of Design Professionals
- 1-3: Developing the Capacity to Manage Risk
- 1-4: Evaluation of Projects and Clients
- 1-5: Planning Phase and Design Phase Risk Management
- 1-6: Bidding or Negotiation Phase Risk Management
- 1-7: Construction Phase Risk Management
Level 2-Selected Topics in Risk Management
- 2-1: Contracts for Professional Services
- 2-2: Alternative Methods for Project Delivery
- 2-3: Insurance for Design Professionals
- 2-4: Dispute Prevention and Non-Adjudicative Resolution
- 2-5: Adjudicative Dispute Resolution-Litigation or Arbitration
- 2-6: Planning for Success in the International Project Arena
- 2-7: Strategic Planning for Design Professionals
- 2-8: Specialized Risks: Designing for Sustainability and Condo Projects
- 2-9: Emerging Practice: Building Information Modeling and Integrated Project Delivery
You can download a table of contents in a printer-friendly format.
For each individual study module, a single, multiple-choice test is available here.